Friday, May 16, 2008

Obama's 'Sweetie': Spontaneous or Sexist?

Obama's 'Sweetie': Spontaneous or Sexist?

The recent flap over Sen. Barack Obama calling a female reporter "sweetie" sparked a national dialogue over what is acceptable language between men and women in the workplace.
Did Sen. Barack Obama cross a line when he called a reporter "sweetie?"

The moment came at a campaign stop in Detroit, when Peggy Agar, a reporter at ABC's Detroit affiliate WXYZ-TV, asked Obama this question: "Senator, how are you going to help the American autoworkers?"

"Hold on a second, sweetie. We'll hold a press avail," replied Obama, referring to a structured question and answer session with the media.

Hours later, Obama left Agar a voicemail, apologizing for not answering her question and for calling her "sweetie."

"That's a bad habit of mine," Obama said in the message. "I do it sometimes with all kinds of people. I mean no disrespect and so I am duly chastened on that front."

It apparently is a habit. In an earlier campaign stop, Obama said to a woman, "Sweetie, if I start with a picture I will never get out of here."

"I think in general, whether politics or in the workplace, when we start policing spontaneity we're in trouble. And we should let people be themselves, and we should not assume the worst when somebody uses a word like sweetie," Obama says.


I think Obama is a quack. He is supposedly a "sweet talker" but it seems like he thinks he is above everyone else, especially women. He is taking advantage, and showing his true colors now that things look up for him with the democratic side. We'll see who's laughing after the real election.

No comments: